Monday, April 13, 2009

The Best Of The Best : Swatch Sites

I don't think I've ever made a purchase without researching it first. This is especially true when I happen upon an eye shadow, blush, or lipstick. The color something appears in the pan or tube can be deceiving to the true color. I've learned this lesson the hard way several times. Enter my love of swatches.

All swatches are not created equal. This is especially true of the swatches which are photographed indoors. When I'm searching for a specific color, I often find it on Specktra.net. This site is amazing not only for the information they provide, but also for the array of skin tones swatches are provided on. Some, however, are only half-assed-ly done (I'm making up my own words now), so if you see a swatch on this site you like, make sure you try to find another of it somewhere else, also. This is just to ensure the swatch is accurate, as a lot of posters take photos that are out of focus, in doors, or without any explanation of whether or not they use a base or their skin shade. All of this information is extremely helpful in determining how a certain shade will appear on you.

Makeupgeek.com
, one of my favorite sites, also has some fabulous swatches. They have one of the best NYX swatch sections I have seen. I highly recommend visiting this site before making a NYX purchase, as the swatches they use to respresent their colors are notoriously inaccurate, although most of their products are highly praised.

Last, but most certainly not least, my favorite swatch site ever - The Next Best Thing to Going Shopping Yourself, and it truly is. I ADORE KarlaSugar for all the work she's put into this site. It truly is an HG haven for us swatchaholics.

TNBTTGSY has swatches from MAC, to Stila, to Urban Decay, to Laura Mercier, etc. The array of swatches that can be found on this site is outstanding. I simply can't say enough good things about it. She even has MAC eye shadows swatched by finish! KarlaSugar takes all of her swatch photos outside in direct daylight and doesn't use a primer, so the swatches are the best true-to-color representation you can get in photos. They are always perfectly in focus and never half-made attempts. If you haven't before, definitely check it out, AND bookmark it! You'll use it constantly now that you know it's there.

1 comment: